Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Last Lecture

Have you ever heard of Randy Pausch?  If you haven’t, I encourage you to go out and get his book.  I have listened to his lecture online a million times, ok, probably like 5, but it is well worth it.  I bought the book on Itunes last year, and still listen to it when I need a pick me up.  I hear different things each time I listen to it.  I am not going to spoil the book for you, but I am encouraging you to go get the book.  Here are a few quotes from the book:

You can’t get there alone. People have to help you and I do believe in karma. I believe in paybacks. You get people to help you by telling the truth. Being earnest.

Apologize when you screw up and focus on other people, not on yourself.

Somewhere along the way there’s got to be some aspect of what lets you get to achieve your dreams. First one is the role of parents, mentors, and students.

It’s very important to know when you’re in a pissing match. And it’s very important to get out of it as quickly as possible.

The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough.

Head fake learning is absolutely important, and you should keep your eye out for them because they’re everywhere.

When you see yourself doing something badly and nobody’s bothering to tell you anymore, that’s a very bad place to be. Your critics are your ones telling you they still love you and care.

We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.

It’s not about how to achieve your dreams. It’s about how to lead your life. If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you.

I forget sometimes what is important in life and sometimes how to appreciate it.  Sometimes it takes certain things to put all that into perspective and I have to have a little breakdown to come to grips with it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails